03-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #199
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Shiv comes from us broke outspoken Mitsubishi and Subaru owners who want to go as fast as possible as cheap as possible for the most part and cry like little girls when we feel the pricing is too high, the parts don't perform as well as someone else's or we could do it ourselves.
lol...

I think the real reason for BMW (and Porsche and Audi) pricing being high is that few of the popular tuners actually develope the engine control system in-house. Almost all of them rely on 3rd parties for ECU flashes. Also, none that I know actualy do in-house calibration. Instead, they usually just try off-the-shelf flashes from GIAC until they find something that works reasonably well with their kit. It's unreal how many people I meet in this industry who tell me their car got "tuned by so and so." I ask them how long the tuning process took and what kind of questions did the tuner ask them only to find out that their definition of "getting tuning" was trying flash after flash, through the mail, until they find one that works adequately at best. The only BMW tuning shop I know of that actually does in-house calibration is Dinan. I've seen their facility and was given a tour by Steve himself. It's a very impressive place. Of course, you pay for it.

-shiv
Appreciate 0