View Single Post
      07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
If you have a 2007 and you are going to have them do anything with the software... you might as well have them re-process ALL the modules in the car and UPDATE all the software including the dinan mod. Reason being is, I'm sure it takes only a few seconds for them to plug up to the OBD2 and query the checksum of the flash to know what version you have. Knowing the version is not that big a deal... but I am willing to bet that many other modules in the car are probably from 2006/2007 code base as well.

I plan to do this when I take my car in for my next oil change, I want to get them to update ALL the modules with the latest software (it will probably blow away my alpina flash and coding... but those can be put back in easily). What you will probably gain is a lot of bug fixes. Don't even have them waste time checking the version... tell them just to update it all for the $50 or $100. After all, its not like they are turning a wrench for hours and hours on the car. All they do is connect up the battery to power source and fire up the computer to update the car over night (It probably just takes 1 hour tops as an automated scripted based on the VO number).

If you have any custom coded features, you may want to get in touch with your local coder and let him know this is what you are planning to do... so he can just make a copy of your config and then put it all back once the car is updated at the dealership. If you haven't had the car coded yet, might be a good starting point for getting your car coded after all the modules have been updated. Might also be a good time if you haven't already replaced the car battery to replace the soon to be failing 6+ year old battery with an AGM battery (since they are already updating the software it's nothing more to code in the new AGM battery to the VO) and register it to the car.
just curious what modules need to be updated? never heard of such thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist View Post
Oh I knew I would have to pay something, just thought $140 was way too overpriced for a simple check.

Just have to think of another way to check or just make myself believe it's still there and not worry about it ha
how about asking the dealership you bought it from to give you your vehicles service history and look for a software update?
Appreciate 0