12-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
JaySTee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
The specs look pretty good for the one you have stated, 8GB of RAM is a hell of a lot if your not a gamer and don't do video editing in apps like after effects. I have only got 6GB and seem to get by fine with video editing and gaming so 8 is probably a bit ott. If it isn't much extra it might be worth keeping ensuring its longevity.

I personally wouldn’t consider Mac, don't get fooled by all this 'immune to virus' crap, not many viruses are about these days, it's mainly spyware which is always a user error by downloading and running something they shouldn’t have. You need to really like the design and the OS to buy a Mac; if that isn't the case then you are wasting your time there.

I would tend to opt for a larger screen, 19" is pretty small by these standards and you can easily get 22" or something like that.

Not sure about mini PCs but my guess is you won’t be able to upgrade anything with them in the future if needed, that's probably the main difference. Usually they have lesser components as well due to size.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, so maybe 4GB RAM? I guess I could add more in the future if required?

Maybe I should go for a bigger screen, the only thing that worries me is that we have the PC in room downstairs and not in an office so it is not tucked away - I don't want it to be too big and stand out too much.
Appreciate 0