11-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #29
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 LBB M2/'18 X3 M40i/'16 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr-Euro View Post
How long did you have the unit on the car? Usually if the JB4 is installed wrong then you would get an immediate indication either by limp, SES, or both. Like others have stated, the unit is passive and cannot "kill your car".

If the unit has been on the car for some time and you are just now having problems communicating with the DME then I would say that your DME was not properly sealed after installation. Amateur installers may only lock the box on the front and rear and neglect to completely clip it from left to right. Condensation or water entering the ECU over time can cause corrosion to build and eventually cause communication problems and failure. There was alot of these types of problems on the E36 cars and sounds like you are experience the same symptoms.
I actually had a JB3 running on the car when this happened. It was running on my car for probably 6 months or so. When going through the troubleshooting I upgraded to the jb4. It continued to fail so then I took it to the shop.
Appreciate 0