View Single Post
      11-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #26
kayza
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
You don't have to use the MS-8 remote for volume. Just set it at -6db and control the volume on the phone or the head unit.
So I did some testing in the car with a computer and with the fiio as well. Long story short, my phone does not support the digitally controlled analog attenuation. While this doesn't matter for the car (line out), it is disappointing for my portable setup, and especially with my IEMs.

Kaigoss, by using the volume control on the device, you are digitally reducing the signal sent to the DAC, and I think that ratio is something like 1bit per 6db of attenuation. So if you have your MS8 at -6, and then have your music player at low volume, you are throwing away (technically) some detail of the signal. Besides, if I have to reach to the phone for volume, I'd rather reach to the remote and then maintain a full signal, and adjust it's amplification.

Also, I found the ms8 manual state that it can take 2.8v input, so the 2.25v microstreamer is fine. I read somewhere that the ms8 could only take 2v, so that's what revived this thread the other night.
Appreciate 0