Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2017 Infinti QX60  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger911 View Post
I had a hard time getting the airbag out, but once I knew where to look and exactly how to do it, it was very easy.

I misinterpreted where the "slots" were to depress the springs that hold the airbag in. I was digging around immediately behind the chrome trim piece, due to the 2D effect of photos. I'm attaching a good photo from behind the steering wheel showing the location of the holes for depressing the spring. If you feel around for them carefully, you'll find them. There are small slits in the rubber backing of the steering wheel, to allow entry of a small screw driver, but you'd never know they were there if you weren't looking for them. Also, it seems to work best if you have the screwdriver blade in a horizontal fashion (as in pic) then push in spring until the airbag releases on that side. Once you've found the spring with the screwdriver, it's unmistakable.

Also, the plugs on the back of the airbag have a retaining clips holding them on. Don't try to pry the plugs off without releasing the retention clips. They simply lift up (don't seperate them from the plug). Just stick the flat blade of the same small screwdriver under the center of the retaining clip on the back of the plug. The clip will raise, and allow the plug to come off of the back of the airbag.

Hope this additional detail helps.

Roger
2008 E92
Sport, Premium, 19" factory wheels.
Sparkling Graphite. Black leather.

PS: Be careful if you're aggressively honking at someone. Don't cram your palm onto the horn over the roundel. It will smush and suddenly look crumpled and concave. It'll cost you a new airbag!
Been doing this for almost 1 hr... When i insert the screw driver, it just hits metal or it moves around the casing, there is no spring.....

What am i missing ?
Appreciate 0