11-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #121
KevinO
Warrior-Poet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
So while the new iDrive is a leap ahead of it's previous iteration, it still lacks the simplistic functions of finding ANY POI location that you need to find. What if you needed to pick someone up from another dealer or had to go to Kragen's to pick up some parts for your other car? My 04 Acura could do this...
Meh... not worth me getting all excited about.
Well, it is a leap ahead in so many other ways that I still think it's very much worth getting excited about. It's so much more useful than past versions in terms of how quickly and intuitively you can do what it is capable of, and there are a lot of new features. It's just that (for now at least) the Nav database itself appears to be relatively unchanged.

It's a fair criticism, though, that they do not appear to have significantly changed the types of POIs that are built-in. If you're willing to drop the $199/year for the BMWAssist Convenience Package, you do get live Google Maps search, but I didn't think that was worth the $199/year (the other Convenience Package features weren't of much interest to me).

Another related feature is the MyInfo/Google Maps integration, which is part of the base BMWAssist that comes with the Premium Package. That lets you send any location from Google Maps on your computer to the car. I've used this a few times and it's pretty cool.

But if I needed to find the closest Kragen, I'd still need to use my iPhone.
Appreciate 0