Drives: 08' 335i, ZHP 330i

Garage List
88 .  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
How many here have ever custom tuned other platforms? With how close the off the shelf maps are, it only costing $500 to get your car custom tuned to your mods is cheap. Especially for a BMW.

T
The plug in tunes also have auto-tuning, which is like "Custom Tune Lite". And it would obviously be worthless to get ATP maps everytime you add/change performance mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Does it make a big difference? I've been contemplating getting a custom tune. I'm assuming it doesn't matter what version of ots map you run ( v3 or v4 )?
SkinRock reported gains of 16 WHP/21 WTQ with a custom ATP map (compared against the OTS Sport map he had been using). COBB commented somewhere in this thread that w/ a custom map, there wouldn't be a significant impact if the firmware or OTS maps were updated. That's because the ATP facilities have access to all the tuning variables.

Bottom line: ATP Maps are worth it, but I would wait until I was done adding/changing performance mods to my car. That way the ATP Map are tailored to the mods that you have installed. If you get ATP Maps and then upgrade to RB Turbos, you've just wasted $500 on maps that aren't going to maximize the car's performance.
I know what the closed loop feedback "auto tune" features do. The point I was trying to make is that all these people complain about how much it costs to get a custom tune. Go get a custom tune on an older NA BMW and compare the costs and HP gained. Thousands of dollars for 10 to 20 flywheel HP. This flash technology has made it silly how cheap HP is and you don't even have to know how to open the hood.

T
Appreciate 0