View Single Post
      08-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Hey guys.

I've read much of the comparison and can't say that it is too far off base. There are a couple things that I'd like to clarify and really perhaps they are only difference of opinion. Ultimately we will have to see in time.

1) The OEM N55 Turbo being a "piece of junk"- This has been taken slightly out of context. In native form, we really do not believe it is a piece of junk. Actually it is a very nice unit for what it was designed to do (ie. provide ample airflow to make a very efficient 300rwhp)
2) Horsepower cap of the N55 Hybrid- we believe the HP cap of the hybrid is going to be quite a bit over estimated. We believe rather than the proclaimed 500-550rwhp, will be more like 425-475rwhp regardless of the centersection or wheels chosen due to a very undersized turbine housing.
3) Fitment- The oem unit will always fit nicer and have better packaging. This is a great thing about hybrids and obviously we support that very much so. However, we plan on using a modular design (which we are custom machining several components for) that will make the design quite frankly pretty breathtaking. More to come on this in our updates.
4) OEM styling and warranty- This is a no brainer. If you do not have good relations with your local BMW dealership and have concern about a voided warranty due to modifications and also about your under hood looking non stock- then go with the hybrid.
5) Availability- probably on point there. It will take a bit to get our setup done. All pends on what you want. We hope to have pics of the manifold soon and when you see it I am pretty sure you will be able to see where we are going with this (and will likely wish to hold out for the finished product). However once the prototype is done, and proven (as we will not sell to anyone until it is proven), it will not take very long to get into production.
6) Actuator function- both setups will use vacuum wastegate actuation and thus both will work in harmony with the DME.
7) Spool- We would agree that the hybrid will spool faster as it has a very small turbine housing (that will also significantly limit power and also significantly reduce octane thresholds); but we do believe that the new hi-tech EFR with twin scroll and the .92ar turbine housing, short runner modular exhaust manifold, will be no slouch. It is my belief that the spool will be full boost in the higher 3k rpm range.
8) Price- probably on point. But the hybrid requires a core charge of $1500 (whereas ours will not), so if you wish to keep the OEM turbo for reversability sake... the hybrid solution costs $5,500 (which puts them in the same ballpark). When you start comparing bang for the buck, you'll see quickly that there is no comparison.

At the end of the day we are not touting our upgrade to be anything but what it is. There are numerous ways to skin a cat, if you want a hybrid that has never been tested and is being advertised to make 500-550rwhp that is great. Perhaps you can ask for a $$ back guarantee if it only makes 450rwhp though.

Take care,
Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-12-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0