View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

water pump questions

OK tried seraching, couldn't find excatly what I was looking for... so:

1) Will any scanner pick up the pump error codes (such as the free one at autozone) or do I need a BMW-specific reader?

2) Once the pump goes, there is NO WAY to drive the car with the red overheat symbol correct? you must get it towed (to a dealer)?

3) Why is there only 1 "replacement" pump available? ... there are no aftermarket options? I can get 5 different bolt on turbo kits but there is only ONE water pump that works with our cars?

4) If and when my pump blows up, this will covered COMPLETELY under warranty correct? (assuming my factory 4/50k or my CPO warranty is still good)

5) What has been TOTAL cost of replacing the pump, including labor? both with this covered under warranty, and not covered under warranty.

6) Do you HAVE to replace the thermostat when replacing the pump or is it just recommended?

7) how hard is the DIY? scale to 1-10, 10 being the hardest.

Thank guys looking to start checking into my water pump, am at 48k and I know they "usually" don't fail until 80-100, I want to keep an eye on that thing.