11-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #562
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanosracing View Post
Not sure about the 911, sorry. You may want to check on forums such as rennsport, pelicanparts or pca. You can also ask Harnold (German dude) at Port Plus in Lachine.

For BMW's yes, unfortunately you need to register the battery to the iDrive system. On my 5 series it is recommended to maintain proper functioning of the electronics. There are so many modules and sensors on modern BMW's that if the battery dies you could be in trouble. I don't know about the 3 series but I suspect it is the same. Mine was programmed at BM Exlusive by Julien, I call him the wizz kid. He handles the electronics and CPU updates on the cars.

I have to bring in my 5 for servicing at BMW because the valve lifters are clacking...another hydraulic thing to take care of but it should be under warranty.
its definitely a cash grab from BMW imo.... i mean if other manufacturers can build cars that can take a new battery easily, i dont see why BMW cant do this or at least make the reset procedure available to the end user by putting it into the regular idrive menu. its frustrating to see newer cars being built this way.

how much mileage do you have on the 5? seems a little early to have valve issues.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0