04-10-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
further to my previous post about the tyre wear on my front tyres after only 15k miles I decided to call at the local dealer and see what they thought of the excessive wear
Service manager looked at tyres and said "probably wrong pressure"
No I said I checked pressure this morning and it's perfect as per door pillar scale
"might be alignment then..........."
"is 15k not a low mileage for this amount of damage to be apparent ?"

The guy then said it depended on " driving style "

He made it clear that neither garage or BMW would help with cost of replacement tyres

I now have 2 illegal front tyres and am faced with a bill of £300+

I am seriously hacked off about this ...................any advice folks ??
This is not as simple as people are making out.

The lifespan of the tyres will vary greatly dependant on driving style and the type of journeys you make.

I generally do 25-30K miles a year - mainly on motorways. In the past I have easily got 30K plus from rear tyres and even more from the fronts.

That isn't to say that I don't drive enthusiastically, it's just that most of the miles I do are on the motorway, where the tyres wear very little.

There have been problems with uneven and excessive tyre wear in respect of runflat tyres. There has even been an 'arrangement' in the USA where Dunlop accepted limited liability, but only AFTER a customer complained.

This is the BMW bulletin:

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B360205g.htm

Unfortunately, there have been no such arrangements in the UK.

Personally I think 15K miles is VERY low for front tyres. If you do maybe 10K miles a year - largely on b roads, this could be down to driving style, but I can do 15K miles in 6 months - with very little tyre wear.

I think you have reason to expect BMW to sort out your problem, but I doubt that they will help.
Appreciate 0