View Single Post
      02-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
chaz58
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328iT

Its not a great way to save money - it is mostly for the experience.

You are right, on your car you may save ~$2,000 or less. How much you save is based on your dealer (My local dealers want to stick to MSRP for ED), so locally I could get a car off the lot for a price similar to ED (especially in winter).

Not much savings at my local dealers - maybe $1000 for ED?

Really, on a car like yours you are going to save a max of 7% (or less from my dealers), have to order the car way ahead of time, and wait 6-8 weeks after you come back before your car is in your hands.

Its not a great way to save $$$. Round trip to Germany in the summer is quite expensive ($1400 or so), and less than half of that, so if your only in it for the $$$, pick up in winter (or maybe spring).

However, it is a good experience, and that is what you should do it for - if the experience interests you.

There have been people who had an expensive or hard to find car (the convert when they were new) that found they could save big $$$ and get the car they wanted because it didn't come out of dealer allocation. On the other hand, the new models for 09 (1 series, 335d) don't have ED discounts, and won't for a while...

I'm doing it for the experience, and for a discount on a trip to Europe. I'm buying from Irv (Chicago) as he knows his stuff and has a fair price too.
Appreciate 0