View Single Post
      07-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #50
Superwofy
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 0475

Thanks for taking the time to write out such a detailed post Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
The 1M DSC software is atrocious, it's way too interfering. The E82 1M is naturally a much more unstable chassis than the non-M cars, very short and wide wheelbase, running massive sway bars for its size and weight (specially the rear bar), soft springs, dampers with high compression, it also uses the same GKN Visco-Lok LSD diff from the E9x M3, which is quite slow to react, and doesn't work well on cars with short wheelbases (due to lifting the inside wheel off the ground when thrown hard around sharp corners, free spinning of inside wheel for ~0.3s, then sudden locking of the LSD clutches causes the rear end to go into snap oversteer). The least sorted car to ever come out of BMW ///M is the E82 1M, it was a rush job, and a parts bin special pretty much. Some people will argue that that's what makes it fun and special, but I disagree personally.

As a result of the above, BMW programmed the 1M DSC software to be very interfering to catch you in case you lose control of the car. Even when you fully turn off DSC, you still have stuff like CBC (Corner Brake Control)... etc. remain on, which isn't the case on the E9x M3.

The solution to above, is to flash the 1M DSC software, and then code the NETTODAT file with the data from the M3 GTS Coupe. The M3 GTS was sold from factory with Michelin Cup 2 tyres, and out of box it had crap load more grip than any other E8x/9x car. It had KW Clubsport 3-way coilovers, stiff springs, stiff dampening, solid subframe mounts... etc.
Interesting take on the 1M . I think there is a tiny bit of confusion here though. ZB 7846816 is the M3 flash for the DSC. Friction coefficients, CBC etc. is already set up like it is on an E92 M3 (WD92-RHD).

Quote:
Believe it or not, 1M didn't come with ACC (Active Cruise Control), it only came with the mediocre base CC (Cruise Control) that you get on a 116i hatchback , and the 1M DSC is hardcoded for that.

After many wasted hours of messing around, I still managed to get ACC working on the 1M DSC, however it doesn't display my cruise control speed on the cluster. You know that dot that 3er have on the cluster that travel up and down on the speedo to indicate the speed that ACC is set to? 1er cars and 1M don't have it, so the DSC will never provide the cluster with this data to display.

Ultimately, if you're not too hooked on having that ///M button on the steering wheel, I recommend sticking with the orignal DSC, and code it to be fun (copy NETTODAT data from the M3 GTS, turn off nannies... etc. I'll do a writeup on this next week, as I've been asked way too many times over the last 2 years or so).
What I was after with this 'retrofit' was the ability to switch modes. For novelty's sake, nothing else really. I was adding parts one by one and kept the DSC last since I knew cruise control and E-diff would no longer work. My original plan was to inject 0x1D9/0x399 with and MCP2515 on kcan/pt-can but it didn't quite work out.

Let's see what happens when I add LDM and ACC modules. If the DSC responds to braking requests it might work. But that begs the question, why didn't BMW offer this expensive option on the M3/1M?
Target buyer wouldn't be interested? Another grill to design for the front bumper? etc.

Quote:
I hated the 1M throttle calibration with the M button pressed, 30% accelerator input, gets translated to 60% throttle input , by the time you press 60% of the pedal travel, it's full throttle already, and the rest of the pedal is a deadzone, rubbish! what the hell where they doing?! , it's a stupid way to trick the noobs that the car wakes up or becomes more responsive with the press of button.

I prefer linear throttle on these cars, specially when tuned, they make a lot of low end torque and it's very hard to control wheel spin on corner exit, makes it harder to drive and you end up with slower overall track times.

I have changed the throttle request table on the tune to make the ///M button throttle very flattened, to give me as much precise control on power output as possible. 10% pedal travel is 10% torque request, 20% pedal travel is 20% torque request. 80% is 80%... etc.

When the M button is not pressed, I also runs a semi-linear throttle mapping on the tune, not as flattened, but still not as stupidly overboosted as the stock 1M ///M button mode.
Yeah, after driving a bit more I feel like it's kind of gimmicky. It's still sort of cool on my car because the flywheel has so much play in it at this point it sort of livens up the throttle for rev matching. That being said, taking off smoothly in 1st gear in traffic is basically impossible. Will probably tone it down with the xdf.

Quote:
Won't work, the MSS60 DME used for the V8 S65 motor controls the steering weight (controls all of //M Drive functions actually), I have the MSS60 OLS file, and there's a table for it there. There are 2 modes, "Komfort" and "Sport", if you graph the data in the tables, you can see the difference in steering weight. On the 1M (and all other non-M cars), the Servotronic is controlled by the JBBF module (must be at minimum JBBF2), there's one table there instead of the two in the E9x M3 (one for comfort and one for sport), and it has the steering assistance plotted against the vehicle speed. All the data is hardcoded, and you can't switch between two presets using the //M button on the steering wheel like you can on the E9x M3 (1M doesn't have this feature either).

But you can hardcode your own data in the JBBF, and just let it be, I personally prefer consistency with these things, would rather have the steering wheel behave similarly under all circumstances. Much easier to improve my driving skills that way, instead of having different modes with different steering feels to go through... etc.
Yes, I already had some hardcoded values in JBBFE3R for slightly more assist since the pump is a bit weaker on non-N54T.

There are actually two tables SPORT and COMFORT in the jbf however, they're both set to the same values. I wonder why they bothered to define two tables in the coding map but then didn't use them.

I was sort of hoping the M switch might be able to toggle between them but no, always COMFORT. I created custom parameters for both and I can confirm that SPORT is always ignored.

Lastly, you mentioned enabling ediff in the MDSC. How do you do this? I did not see any coding parameter to do so. C0F_DIFF_LOCK or anything similar is absent. Did you mean lat_ebd?
Appreciate 0