03-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #18
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F.
Th3xf4ctor,

Does your car have run-flat tires and, if so, are they fairly worn? RFT's in general, and worn ones especially, are very subject to "tramlining," where the tires will pull strongly in reaction to crowned road surfaces, bumps, rain grooves, etc. It can be downright scary.

If your tires aren't the issue, then it's probably time for an alignment and a careful inspection of the suspension bushings. A little bit of toe-out can cause a lot of instability. Worn bushings could allow significant changes in the suspension pivot points with corresponding effects on alignment and stability.

Oh, one other point: Run-flat tire issues generally develop gradually over time as the tread wears down. Alignment and bushing problems can occur all of a sudden as a result of clobbering a pothole. If your problem developed abruptly, I'd guess it's more likely to be an alignment issue caused by a road hazard.

Good luck tracking this down--and let us know what you find.

Rick F.
This sounds like it could be my issue. I am getting ready for new tires. On original potenza tires with roughly 18k on them. The issue has define fly gotten gradually worse. I'm already planning on going with non run flats for my next tire, but what you mentioned is very interesting.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 0