View Single Post
      04-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #41
BillionPa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Let me ask then. Since I ran a bottle of Techron through on my last tank, but did not do an oil change am I potentially damaging my engine? The few times I have used Techron I have NOT done an oil change after.
The wear is probably minimal, if you want to be sure, when you change the oil, save some of it is it pours out and send it to blackstone labs for analysis

PEA/Techron is in most top tier gas (probably all of it) but in much lower quantities than the concentrate additive, and that does not cause noticeable wear. It depends on bearing material, piston ring blowby levels, and dilution levels of blowby in the oil volume. BMW engine is fairly high oil volume for engine size, and blowby should be minimal (more so in N54/55), and I am not 100% sure of the bearing formulation.

Keeping that in mind, some cars will have a much harder time dealing with the blowby, and I am not sure how much wear using 2 bottles prior to an OCI will cause to a newer BMW engine, so it is best to be cautious or analyze the oil to find out.
Appreciate 0