Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaton88 View Post
What gets to me is when drivers decide they would rather have a head on with me than a narrow miss with a cyclist, by giving them almost an entire lane of space. Beyond belief some of the drivers out there.

Also the ones that emergency stop behind a cyclist when all it takes is a minuscule amount of judgement to safely pass. Seriously
^^this - above all else mentioned.

If more people could drive properly, the traffic tailbacks would not be an issue and drivers and cyclists would be less frustrated by each other. Nothing pisses me off more when I'm on the road bike (which isn't that often, as I prefer riding offroad for this very reason I'm about to mention) than having someone dawdling along behind me when there is enough room to get a Hummer past....sideways. Makes me feel like a cunt, when I'm already as close to the kerb as I can manage. More ofthen than not, I end up having to turn off the road just to let some spatially inept fuck-knuckle go past - it's generally speaking not the cyclists fault so many people have this strange concept that you need to give a cyclist an entire lanes width berth as you pass. I'd rather cars just came past at a sensible speed and sensible distance, as I'm sure most other cyclists would. Just like when I'm in the car, I never feel the need to shout obscenities at any other road user/passing traffic regardless of if I'm on the road bike or on the motorbike - as that really does make you look a right bellend regardless.

Whilst I concur there are a number of lycra clad warriors thanks to the Olympics, to be fair to the majority of cyclists, you can only ride so close to the kerb on many roads, as the roads are not maintained or resurfaced properly and the gutter is a dangerous place to ride - with massive drops into drains, etc. When the Government set about this whole "cycle network" thing, they didn't make the roads any wider, they jsut painted the shitty, potholed bit that drivers try and avoid green.

The people with all the gear and no idea, and the weekend warriors that cycling a pack blocking the whole lane are not what I'm talking about - they're knobbers - what I'm talking about are people that cycle regularly all year.

Last edited by Russbmw; 08-28-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0