Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
I know about the BMW warranty and what it means by perforation. Rust right through a part (which is perforation) is very serious. The thing is...this doesn't happen too often. You can get structural failure without perforation but just pitting. Meaning BMW will not warranty it until a hole is formed. The steel can be 1 mm thick and have extensive section loss but not have a hole in it and BMW would not warranty it since BMW will only warranty 100% section loss, not 99% i.e. not perforated. (I published two papers on corrosion protection for some engineering research I was doing so it got me looking at the BMW warranty again).

Yeah, the concern I have is trapping dirt and moisture if I did a spray now. But not a huge concern since the oil spray is just to prevent salt from getting into the tight spaces (and you're supposed to do it every year anyway).

I was thinking also galvanized spray (would have to clean up the underside very well) but I don't know if anyone offers that (or if anyone has experienced that before). Really, you could just pick up a can of zinc-rich paint and do it yourself but I rather have someone who has done it before do it for me as opposed to being the first guy to do it.

Oh and the 3M...looking for a place that won't charge me an arm and a leg and does a good job. I've seen some poor 3M jobs and some good ones so it varies depending on the skill.
i have heard (not sure if its true) that they may be required to drill holes in parts of your body as so that the excess "anti-rust" compound can flow out