View Single Post
      02-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
The X3, Q5 and Evoque were the three on my shortlist and I drove all of them. My humble opinions (ignoring X3 from what you say Guvernator):
Evoque - really good to drive, liked the manual 'box a lot, easily the best looking out there, and a really good cabin. Economy not great (this was an SD4 Prestige 2.2 diesel) at 34 mpg indicated. Great Meridian sound system, engine note gruff but only when pushed hard. Panoramic sunroof a must. BUT, the boot isn't big and that might be the killer if this was to be your family car. Drivethedeal are doing 5% discounts and delivery time is 2 months ish.
Q5 - very classy cabin with excellent build quality. Refined to drive and engine is hushed, but not a quick car at all (this was a 2 litre 177ps diesel). Ride quality MUCH better than the reviews suggest (I think Audi have softened it for 2013 model year). Doesn't look that great. B&O sound system a must, for £600 it is excellent. You can get an S Line Plus with all the toys, plus B&O sound and heated seats for £33k which is a 12.2% discount from Drivethedeal. Equivalent spec Evoque would be £40k before discount. Delivery time about 6 weeks to 2 months.

In summary, if looks and style are important, and you are OK with a small-ish boot, get the Evoque. If you prefer a less involving drive but more practicality, and better value for money; Q5. Both are VERY good cars though. I thought the X3 was slightly better however.

Mike.
Thanks Mike, very useful summary. ]#

Not really fussed about how well they handle to be honest, I want this car to be comfy. Maybe it's just me but I don't really get this current obsession with making SUV's them handle like a car, surely the whole point of them is that they are big, comfy and wafty??

At any rate the Evoque is definately the best looking but space\size might make it a no-goer so I think I'll need to go and have a look at one. The Q5 is a little more boring but looks decent enough in S line guise and they are better value IMO as the Evoque is currently suffering from the fashionsta wanting them.
Appreciate 0