View Single Post
      09-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Understanding GT/Blancpain/DTM/ALMS/Ect??? HELP!

BLUF/TL;DR: I know very little about racing teams/rules/classes and would like to learn so I can teach my enthusiast son.

So over the years I have become more and more interested in watching racing. But, everytime I turn on the TV, I am overwhelmed with stats, specs, team names, classes, car types... Just a giant mishmash of information.

I realized I had to narrow it down to a few that really quipped my interest and I believe I have. DTM, GT Masters, WRC, and Formula 1.

So we have begun to watch more races, like today we did a WTCC @ Suzuka and it was cool to watch. But last weekend, we watched a DTM race and I was unable to explain to my son what the colors meant where to two fuel stop dots were. Why did some go from yellow to black?

This brought up the dilemma of my absolute ignorance to the topic of racing. Can someone help clarify or teach me a few things or at the very least point me to a racing for dummies site???

I really love watching it and sharing that time with my son. It has become something we look forward to on the weekends.

But what is the difference between the FIA GT Series, Blancpain GT, the ADAC GT Masters and the ALMS? Is it just the locations? One is European the other American for example? Or do they all race together? Why are some cars called GT3 cars? I thought that was a Porsche! So... You see my problem...

We're here in Germany right now and we have gone to several DTM races. We would like to go to GT Masters at Hockenheim next weekend with my son. Id really like to get a handle on all of this so I can relax and enjoy.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Whomever helps, Ill buy a beer at the next race we meet at.

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 09-22-2013 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0