Thread: I springs on Xi
View Single Post
      09-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #74
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Not sure where to put this update. I had originally thought I needed to get my ride height up from the too low levels from using Eibach pro kit + Koni sports. This was to avoid rubbing when some relatives came into town, driving them and their luggage around on some of the bumpier 2 lane blacktop up here in the mountains. I have 12/15mm spacers F/R on stock staggered 189's and was concerned the clearance was too tight. I had been considering swapping in some D6/D2 OEM sport springs.

Well I took my neighbors for a brief ride (about same weight) and no rubbing. So I decided to chance it with the relatives + luggage and full tank. No rubbing at all, on approx 500 miles of mountain driving. This was surprising to me.

I did one other thing, and that was I took out the camber pins in front strut hats, got another 0.5 degree neg camber. Very nice and wakes up the turn-in feel significantly. Used the method suggested by someone here (brilliant) of dremmeling a slot in the pin for a screwdriver, then loosening all 3 top nuts. Pins came right out.

So now front camber is sitting at approx. -1.7 deg both sides, which is much closer to what you want on McP strut car for performance oriented handling without too much tire wear. Will drop the rear down to near that next and evaluate.
Appreciate 0