View Single Post
      09-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samchoi604 View Post
1) You need a BMW-specific reader, not any OBDII reader. Get the BT Tool. There are cheaper alternatives for 2008+ 335i, such as the CAN Tool, but for 328i you will need BT Tool.

2) Correct

3) Only OEM available

4) Covered under CPO warranty but you need to pay a small deductible

5) With CPO warranty, you pay $50 deductible.. without, you pay about $1000 ($600 for parts)

6) No, you don't have to replace the T-Stat but you might as well do it since (1) it's accessible during water pump replacement, (2) it's only $100, and (3) it's prone to failure

7) No idea, depends on your skills and the tools you have

If the water pump goes out and lets just say its covered under warranty, will they automatically replace the T-stat too? or is that a "seperate error code" or whatever and the 2 part failures are "not related" ? ... if and when my pump bows, I'd def change the T-stat since it's only a 100 bucks.

I still cannot believe there is no "aftermarket" water pump for our cars. Esp when this is a KNOWN problem. Tischer or someone couldn't come up with a bolt on replacement that isn't a POS? this just really surprises me, that with a part that everyone has problems with, there are no other solutions than to replace with the same part that will cause more problems.

Can I go to the dealer and speicially ask them to run a scan on my car to check for pump error codes?