View Single Post
      07-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #2388
Kaarle22
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i e90 msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasha View Post
Kaarle,
It's interesting to hear you have the same problems with mechanics in Finland as we have in the States -- it is rare to find a good one, and even rarer to find one who is honest and good, and rarest to find one who is honest, good, and does not charge more than a neurosurgeon removing a brain tumor.

While I am NOT a believer in oil additives, I was so exasperated by the loud ticking that I poured in an additive called "Marvel Mystery Oil" to the crankcase as well as the gas tank (you can add to both). The ticking disappeared, even through an oil change (I changed from the BMW factory oil to Mobil 1 0W40).

This would tell me that the ticking was a lifter that either needed cleaning (which the Marvel Mystery would help clean out), or that it needed a lighter oil, or that it was an adhesion/retention problem in the oil staying in the lifter after shut-down.

I am 99% positive that my ticking noise was coming from my lifter -- not a timing chain or other causes that I have heard posted.

It is very embarrassing to be driving an expensive and highly noticeable car, with an engine that ticks so loudly that it sounds like a jalopy.
Hey! Thank you for the ideas. I have inspection next week tuesday and they change oils etc so they will listen the engine before and after oil change (castrol 5w-40) and then if its only valve lifters so i could use your "way" to "heal" lifters...

I hope there aint anything bad in the engine and the noice would go away with simple things

I will post here when the things are settled and my bmw is working as it should be!
Appreciate 0