11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #84
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm sorry, but I need to chime in here. I'll agree winter tires are obviously better in snow than All-Season tires (as that is what they are designed for), as All-Season tires are better in snow than summer performance tires. But there is more to it than just tires. You write like All-seasons are no better for snow traction than summer tires, which is just not true. The main safety factor in any type of inclement weather driving is the DRIVER. Either you know how to drive in snow or you don't.

I got caught in a snow storm in my E90 in December 2010 in Washington, DC. I had a meeting downtown and my truck, which I usually drive in snow conditions, wouldn't fit in the building's garage. I had to drive my E90 knowing that I could get out of the meeting before the snow hit. Well the snow came early. The problem I had was my tires, which were Yokohama AVID WS4 that were into the wearbars already and in serious need of replacement. I was maximizing tread life with the tires (I buy a new set of tires about every 11 months) and was going to replace them within a week. It wasn't the best situation, I'll agree, but I made it back to my office 15 miles West in Virginia in the snow storm, in very slow traffic, on almost bald tires, because I didn't panic, planned my route to avoid large hills, and drove in a way that didn't overtax the very limited amount of grip I did have.

If you live in Calgary, yes, run winter tires all winter long, if you live in the USA mid-Atlantic like I do, where it occasionally snows, All-seasons are a reasonable choice.

And learn how to drive in snow.
Reasonable? Winter tires WILL help you stop faster in winter ...dry or snow covered. FACT.
Appreciate 0