View Single Post
      01-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
EurotunMotorwerks718
Banned
Rep
Drives: TT Gallardo (shop car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I have an 07 335i coupe sports pack A/T, bought new ED delivery. All service done per owner's manual + some. I change my oil every 7.5k.
If you read bimmer and hear their advice, they recommend flush +filter pan change at way prior to the 100k that BMW does.
When I bought it they used to say lifetime fill, now they recommend 100k change.
The change costs about 550-800 depending on your area/shop etc etc.
Please post your experiences.
As blogs tend to be riddled with lots of "urban legends", please post your experience.
Did you change? At what mileage? and what did you pay? and outcome? Meaning how many miles after change have you driven and did something (good or bad) happen?

Thanks
As most know BMW recommends not changing the fluid as its considered lifetime in their perspective. And with all due respect their is some truth to that statement with specific regards to ZF transmissions and the elements the oil collects over time providing a "protection" in a non-technical sounding way. At 100k, 120k, when its never been changed before you have a 50/50% chance of survival, on whether the new oil will even conform with transmission components like how the old oil did. It would be a different story if you changed it at several earlier intervals, which still doesn't stop this from happening but does significantly lower the chances of it NOT conforming with one another. You also have to realize every tranny is different, many factors are involved such as the way you drive, Temperatures, manual or auto, etc. I know some will refute the fact of changing oem fluid so I will back it up with a local horror story. A guy with an 04 525i came in to the shop about 3 months back, said his tranny was leaking oil. We put it on the lift and confirmed it was the infamous "mechatronic sleeve" leak. We recommended a drain and fill +mechatronic sleeve replacement along with new pan bolts(Old ones rust rather fast). He told us the car had been garaged all its life which was true as it only had 30k on it. Anyway he said was going to do it himself. 3 days later he comes back in and says he changed the sleeve and wanted us to recheck for a leak and test drive. We checked it and drove it all was great. He ends up selling the car,2 weeks later.After about 1 week of ownership for the new owner, the original owner gets call saying he is stuck somewhere and the car won't move. Nonetheless car gets towed to BMW, and they claim who ever did the mechatronic sleeve didn't do it right and that it needs to be redone. Well he gives the go and they change the sleeve plus drain and fill. Only to find out the car still won't move when you put it in R,D, only jerks when its in N "like it wants to go". The SA quotes him $7000 for a new tranny installed. And to my surprise he gives the go on it. I ended up finding out they split the money right down the middle to 3500 each. As I know bmw's last diagnosis on why the tranny was dead is purely due to "low fluid" as they said. But IMO it was the new oil the original owner put in the tranny. Everything seemed fishy from the dealership and he should have gotten a second opinion but low fluid couldn't have caused that tranny to do that especially after knowing those circumstances, I have seen some come in with close to no fluid out the drain pan and run just fine. I hope it helps in regards to the answer you were looking for and try to keep everything in perspective when doing maintenance like such on your car.

Last edited by EurotunMotorwerks718; 01-15-2013 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0