View Single Post
      08-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #34
GadgetBMW
Torque........I'm Loving it!
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Caught my 335d in the act of a DPF regen today.

It started as I was close to home in the city doing about 40mph after driving my normal highway commute from the office. The EGT went up to about 950F and my mileage went down to about 20mpg. Instead of pulling up in my driveway and turning off my car before the regen completed, I decided to pass the house, hit the freeway again and I drove the car for about 5 miles at 70+ MPH until it finished the DPF regen.

While on the freeway during the regen, I noticed that the EGT went up to about 1100F-1150F, EGR 0%, Coolant about 205F. Once the regen completed, temps cooled down a bit, EGT dropped to about 500F, coolant 190F, EGR 94%, instant mileage increased to 40.1 mpg.

I must say... I do like some aspects of the clean diesel technology in the 335d in comparison to my 2003 VW Jetta TDI. The Jetta does emit a little diesel smell upon start up and when I mash that throttle. My wife drove behind the 335d in her car and she was amazed that she could not smell any hint of diesel, not so in my old Jetta TDI!

I use the Torque app Android version to monitor my engine parameters and it is a valuable tool!
Appreciate 0