View Single Post
      06-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #150
rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 328i, 1995 VW Passat

First Zaino Experience

So I purchased all my products, including towels, mitts, 3 Oxo wheel brushes (love 'em), bucket, Zaino car wash, AIO, Z2 w/ accelerator, Z6 and Z8.

Saturday I washed the my '99 328i pretty much using David's guide. I mainly focused on always rinsing the mitt with moderate-high pressure before putting it back into the clean soapy water. I then dried it (waffle weave microfiber towels worked great), and clayed it.

First time using clay. I actually used a cutting board and cleaver to cut it into usable pieces. I found I really needed to use a lot of the Z7 mix to create a lot of lubricant, otherwise the clay would hit a spot w/ minimial mix and my fingers would slip right off the clay. So I used a lot of Z7 mix. I had planned on washing the car after claying, to remove the residue, but it seemed fine simply wiping the Z7 mix off with a clean microfiber towel after finishing each section. I also noticed there was more embedded particles in the paint the lower I went. The lowest panel was horrible. I had a hard time telling if the surface was rough with impediments or with scratches or breaks in the paint due to pebbles, etc. on the road. I did use only half the car of clay, but felt I could have used another 2-3 pieces (each being 1/30th of the bar) on the lower panel, especially the front. I would recommend 2-3 pieces on the lower front of the car.

Next I used the Zaino AIO for a mild mild polish. This guide doesn't mention whether the applicator should be wet or dry (I don't think), but I wet mine, as there was far less friction, and the AIO spread far easier.

It required a bit more pressure to remove than I expected.

I then mixed 2 oz of Z2 along w/ 9 drops of accelerator. Using a new clean applicator (again wet), I covered the entire car, using as little as I possible could. I think David says 1 oz should do the car 3 times. I don't think I could have used any less, and think I would get about 2.5 coats per ounce. So I was pretty close. One-third an oz for a compact car is very very very little.

I then hit it with a coat of Z6, which I found I needed to pull the trigger only a fraction, and have my arm fanning back and forth. The nozzle does not give you a fine, widespread mist - only a concentrated very narrow blast, so you need to be careful otherwise you'll end up using far more than needed.

I still plan on another coat of Z2 tomorrow, and ending up with Z8. I also did a great job on my wheels, and am treated them exactly the same as my paint (this at the suggestion of a guy I spoke to at Zaino).

I haven't even touched the interior of my car at this point, and I spent 6 hours yesterday, and 2 more this morning. I'll use another 2 on the exterior and probably 2 on the interior, for a whopping total of 12 hours!! Glad I'll only be doing this twice a year!!
Appreciate 0