05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
VaDuro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
While this may surprise some, the weight of a tire is actually a poor indicator of a tire's real world performance. Using tire weight as an important factor to consider when buying a tire sounds beneficial in theory, but other factors like grip, handling, and steering response have a much greater effect on performance. I've been testing tires on identically setup BMW test cars for over ten years and have found no correlation between tire weight and real world handling on the track or on the street.

Sometimes the heaviest tire will have the best handling and fastest autocross times in a given test; sometimes the lightest tire will. Just one example of the lightest tire performing the worst in a test would be in a recent test is a test of extreme performance summer tires, which many use for autocross. In this test the lightest tire, the Kumho ECSTA XS, came in dead last, while the heavier Bridgestone RE11 and Yokohama AD08 were better. (link to test http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...iate=FH8<br />. )

Keep in mind that while wheel weight can be an important factor to consider, tire weight should actually be one of the last things to consider when making a tire purchase decision. Dry grip, wet grip, and steering response are more far important factors for an enthusiast trying to maximize performance.

I am shopping for a light setup fro street use.

I have come up with the Apex EC-7 18" with square wheels (18-21lbs Forged) and the 245/40/18 Pirelli PZero Nero All Season as RFT replacments. Still reasearching the best combination wheel/tire widths fo rthe best looking fit I can use all year. The wheels did not release pricing yet but, thinking about 300 per wheel and $700 for 245/40 tires.

45lbs 18" $1200+700= Now that is equvalent to a 17" custom gravity forged wheel and tire in an 18" stance
41lbs 17" $1100+600=

I actually got the 18VMR Staggered and the Hankok evo 110. Hated them, felt like the brakes were stressed and was not confident on the high speed cornering.

52lbs

Thats a 7lb unsprung difference per wheel

Plus the better fuel economy and less wear

Also came a cross a dunlop kevlar that is 20% lighter. probable about 20lbs

A 35lb setup would be ideal all around. IMHO...Any feedback on these gary?

Last edited by VaDuro; 05-09-2012 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0