07-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #20
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Granted, more rev range would be nice but it really shouldn't matter. This is the area where there is the most CPS offsetting and as such, should be learned out and can be more easily seen.

IMO, those boost curves are pretty darn close. At the 5900 scroll mark, there is 0.3 PSI difference. When that reaches the DME, it would be about 0.15 difference, which is splitting hairs. When you take out the offset, both are sitting right near 12 degrees total advance. If learning was occuring, the first run should be higher without the offset, about 15 degrees total advance.

And true, 25% does not show any significant knock. It did go flat after 6k revs whereas the first log kept climbing. And this is on 93 octane.
It's like Shiv's logs that had a 4 degree timing variance blamed on IAT differences. Full dyno logs where IAT and oil temperatures are matched seems to be the only way to go. I have street logs showing less timing with CPS, logs showing more timing with CPS, and logs showing the same timing with CPS. When the run to run variance is so huge and the CPS so small it is
hard to prove anything.

At a minimum lets all agree on a criteria for testing. Knock is knock whether it happens at 2000rpm, 3000rpm, or 6000rpm, so lets post full logs. Perhaps also including IAT on all logs will also help spot variances. Something I've been guilty of omitting in a couple logs.

Mike
Appreciate 0