Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker87 View Post
What do you mean by "notchiness"? I generally consider that a good aspect of a shifter ("notching" into each gear). Is that not what you're referring to?

Also, I assume all this talk is concerning the BMW SSK. How does it compare to the UUC SSK? I dislike the stock shifter, and am looking for something that feels more solid and notches into each gear more. Don't really care about throw length.
It's not a bad stock shifter, but there's a little more play and longish throws for my taste. I'd like to be able to "two-finger" it easier. Mine has the M-sport knob, which is an improvement from the regular knob, but I'm thinking the SSK would help even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Spec Dan View Post
my E90 came with the BMW Performance SSK + Performance Knob so I have no idea what it was like before.

i did drive an E82 135i and if that's anything like what my E90 was before the SSK, i'm actually glad i have the SSK.

one dislike i have is the alcantara boot. previous owner left his hand in the boot when not shifting and now there's a nicely worn area by 3rd and 5th.
Thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
i have the oem ssk. i paid around 300 for parts from tischer and 100 for install at a indy shop. I then sold the knob and boot for ~100 since I didnt like it.

The oem ssk feel exactly the same as the stock shifter only shorter throws. so if its notchy before then it will be notchy after. I have no such issues and its one of the best mods ive done. even the techs always comment on how they like my ssk when servicing my car.
Thanks! Wow--$100 install. At least the dealer has done one before, but $287? I wonder if they have a manual that tells them how many hours to budget for the job?
Appreciate 0