BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
F-ing door dings!

I'm so upset I almost posted this in the October meet thread but I decided against it. Don't want to detract from that thread.

I washed my car today and saw TWO door dings on the left rear passenger door. I have no idea where they came from, but they are new since I last washed it on Tuesday(!). I never park near anyone so I have no idea how I got them. Maybe they are from a rock on the highway?

They are little breaks where the clear coat came right off. The paint beneath looks like it is still there, but it is very dull without the clear coat over it. The clear coat looks like Saran Wrap or something peeled right off -- it is fairly thick and is that shiny (and as a result, the paint looks quite dull beneath it).

Each "ding" is two little chips, one up high and one down low on the door. Very small little nicks.

I tried to clay one of them, thinking/hoping it may just be some tree sap or something, but it is clearly a chip. The clay just made it a little duller all around the chip. I guess I removed the wax I had in that area by claying.

How do I fix these? Touch up paint blotted on them? Or just blot clear coat on them? I've never done either before, but my car spends most of its time outside and I don't want them to get any worse. So I'm willing to give it a try.

Shim, I'm afraid to get my car buffed by you until I get this fixed. I wonder if it would make the chips worse. Anyone help? I'm distraught that my baby is damaged. Meanwhile, my wife thinks I'm crazy and reminds me that I promised I wouldn't be obsessive about the car.