View Single Post
      11-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #19
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyulak View Post
I wasn't talking about the manual. I am talking about this thread. If all answers were easily dispensed by the manual, and people actually read it, then these threads won't exist. As it stands, there are people that have ignored the manual with regards to break-in and have had no problems. My personal experience tells me that having effectively no special break-in period has allowed ME to enjoy more than 38000 miles in my 6MT 335i coupe.
I hate to say but you don't know if the life of your engine will be adversely affected until it happens. I don't think 38,000 miles is where you will find the problems from an inproper break-in. You will discover these problems if you push the limits of your engine (through piggy on this engine) or in higher mileage applications where you may lose compression in a cylinder later in the engines life.

Everyone that reads this, remember BMW is not asking you to break-in this engine to save the atmosphere. They clearly believe that breaking in the engine will lead to longer engine life. If they designed the engine, then why wouldn't I listen? I am not an engine engineer and to over-ride their expertise is rediculous IMO.
Appreciate 0