View Single Post
      06-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #28
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
I purchased a e46 jack off ebay for 40$ shipped. I carry one of my winter wheels in the trunk during the summer and a summer wheel in the trunk during the winter. This was the cheapest way for me since I did not need an extra wheel for a spare.
A search of the forum led me to this thread. I have a couple of questions.

I have two sets of tires, both RFTs. Summers are 225/35 19 and 255/30 19. Winters are square with 225/45 17s.

I like the run-flats in the city - I've had no problem getting them patched when I get a puncture and it's nice to be able to continue driving to my destination when that happens.

That said, they make me a bit nervous on the highway. If I get a flat there I don't want to have to replace a tire if I have to drive a long distance on it, so I would like to carry one of my winters as a spare on longer trips. Are these tires close enough in rolling circumference that I can do that safely on my xi?

My second question involves securing the tire for highway travel. As there is no well in the trunk for a spare, it would have to be tied down in the trunk. It would also have to be safe in case of a collision - would not want it breaking free and entering the passenger compartment. Anyone have any ideas on how best to secure one so it would be safe under the high G forces presented by a serious accident. I don't want it to represent an additional risk to friends or family should something bad happen.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Appreciate 0