View Single Post
      01-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #232
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
Sure they are obsessed alright. Here, read it for yourself about their obsession: European UnionMain article:

European emission standards
The European Union has its own set of emissions standards that all new vehicles must meet. Currently, standards are set for all road vehicles, trains, barges and 'nonroad mobile machinery' (such as tractors). No standards apply to seagoing ships or airplanes. The emissions standards change based on the test cycle used: ECE R49 (old) and ESC (European Steady Cycle, since 2000).

Currently there are no standards for CO2 emissions. The European Parliament has suggested introducing mandatory CO2 emission standards[2] to replace current voluntary commitments by the auto manufacturers (see ACEA agreement) and labeling. In late 2005, the European Commission started working on a proposal for a new law to limit CO2 emissions from cars.[3] The European Commission has received support of the European Parliament for its proposal to promote a broad market introduction of clean and energy efficient vehicles through public procurement.[4]

The EU is to introduce Euro 4 effective January 1, 2008, Euro 5 effective January 1, 2010 and Euro 6 effective January 1, 2014. These dates have been postponed for two years to give oil refineries the opportunity to modernize their plants.

The only state state (a size and economic powerhouse of a country) that is obsessed with air and pollution regulation is California my friend. We set the standard that the other states and countries follow.
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say with the one 'selected' quote.

I can assure you Europe is obsessed with CO2 emissions, how you interpret that may be different to me.

Is it the 'voluntary' aspect which leaves you thinking there is no action? I know our cars have been to Euro 4 since 2006, my own 2006 model is. Current BMW engines are to Euro 5. The whole thrust for the 130g/km average is being pushed hard. BMW bring the new 5-series 520d in under that average, 129g/km translates to 57.6mpg (imperial gallons). That is in itself a milestone to many. Personally I think that is some efffort for a car that is capable of 140mph and 0-62 in 8.1secs. The production 320d Efficient Dynamics model (the 3-series flagship), breaks the 110g/km barrier, that's 68.9mpg.

The whole taxation for motor vehicles in the UK is based on CO2 emissions. Our annual excise duty (Road Fund License) and the BIK (Benefit in Kind) for company car users is CO2 tiered. That is driving the reduction i demand for bigger engines, well over 50% of some model sales are the lowe CO2 vehicles.

Please don't have the impression Europe is doing little, we are paying heavy across the whole spead of taxation, because of CO2 emissions.

Plus our taxes on fuels are another 'voluntary' way we are being forced to kick the CO2 excesses. Premium diesel for my car is now about £6.30 per gallon, with VAT increases on the product, virtually as I write.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0