View Single Post
      07-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #16
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

After having my wheels balanced and aligned at 4 different (somewhat reputable) places the problem remains. However after my last alignment the 'pull' seems to have minimised and i have learnt to live with it.

Prior to my last wheel balance, there was a slight steering wheel shimmy at about 70km/h. After a 'precision' wheel balance whereby they use the finger plate to mount the tyre to the balancing machine the vibration seemed to have disappeared. About 3000km later, there is a very slight vibration at about 55-65km/h under load when i'm in 3rd gear. But at over 100km/h its the same vibration rythm but more pronounced. I have checked the wheels and all the weights are in place and no foreign objects lodged in the tyre. This time the vibration is in the seat and not the steering wheel.

It seems as though each time i get a wheel balance, it just moves the vibration to a different speed range. Does anyone know a place in Sydney whereby getting a wheel alignment + balance is not a lottery. Would prefer recommendations based on a place you've been to and ideally the name of the technician who performed the work as for me it seems getting this done right seems like rocket science.

P.S I know the common denominator is my car, but all 4 places have said that all suspension components look tight, and also i recently replaced my tension struts about 5000km ago (and yes bolts tightened at ride height)
Appreciate 0