View Single Post
      07-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, I'll ask the shop to see if they can snap a few photos of the damaged parts.
The reason I am asking is I have done it myself on another BMW with similar rear shock mounts. There are several washers, a sleeve, 2-piece rubber, etc. Wrong order/orientation the top of the shock can get punched up through the shock mount bracket, or pulled out the bottom. Right order I do not think that is even possible, even for a frozen shock. The thick washers on either side of the rubber would have to be crushed and jammed or pulled through a smaller metal hole in the mount bracket.

Not saying that is what happened in your case but twice is a bit odd. Not familiar with the Dinan mounts either.

Lot of shocks failing recently in areas I monitor, not just konis. Couple of guys with BMW GS motorcycles just had their rear Wilbers fail massively. These are over $1k shocks (each). One the bottom rod where it attaches to the swing arm broke off. The other topped out after the floating piston inside (these are monotube shocks) lost pressure and then the regular piston snapped off the end of the rod after it went to full extension with zero damping. (needless to say on a motorcycle this type of failure could kill you in a hurry, both happened at low speed and riders noticed it immediately no crashing or injuries.)

Very unusual to have a Koni fail early BTW.

Last edited by ajsalida; 07-02-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0