Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
check the VIN . do a carfax?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Get the VIN and use this site for decoding: http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

FYI- no gills in the E36 M3 and the rear spoiler is not factory installed, although it is either a copy or the OEM original of the Euro M-Technic E36 3 Series rear spoiler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnoteMD View Post
The model year is accurate for an E36 M3 Sedan, but someone has done a lot of cosmetic modifications on that car.
-fake side gills
-big rear wing
-wheels from an E46 sport package car
-cheap "purple" window tint
-aftermarket audio

Ultimately, the car could probably be "restored" back to a more original appearance. Definitely do a carfax and have it checked out mechanically. If it all checks out, it could be a great car for your son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
+1
Exactly thats the only way to know for sure. But then again you will never know for sure what the previous owner(s) have done to it.
Thanks guys for the help. I did order a carfax....which came out clean. However we all know that carfax can be sketchy, since anyone can damage the car...fix it themselves, then not report it. I still think it's good to check though.

I think Cnote is correct...it probably could be taken back to stock (or at least close), but who knows what else might be going on. I was going to bag it, but my son is pushing me to at least take a look at it.

I appreciate the help!