View Single Post
      07-09-2005, 03:04 AM   #5
ziv
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i, SG, Sport

Guys,

Changing oil on BMW's is really easy because the filter is on top. I used to change the oil on my E46 330Ci every 5000. The process is as follows:

* drive the car onto the ramps
* place the oil pan under the drain plug
* open the drain plug and let the oil drain
* While it's draining, or after, open the oil filter slowly
* oil will not leak out because the pressure is down and you're draining it anyway. Even if you're not draining it, if the engine is off, and there is no pressure, you can open the oil filter and replace it anytime.
* once the oil finished draining, take the extra anal step of pouring in half a quart to "wash" out everything. This step is not necessary. Just anal. So just do it :-)
* once the oil is drained, reinsert the drain plug with the new ring that you got with your oil filter kit
* make sure you don't over-torque the drain plug. Just hand torque it... If there is a plastic cover that protects that area (E46 had it), put it back
* place the new O ring (that came with the filter kit) in place of the old O ring, which is around the oil filter cap, which you just took off. after you've placed the new O ring on the threaded filter cap, lube it with your finger with new oil. OR, lube it before, and then place it on the filter cap.
* place the new filter onto the pole which is part of the filter cap
* close the filter cap, and torque to 25.5 Nm
* Add oil
* close the oil cap, and turn the car on. Build pressure, and when you hear the engine sounding normal again, after about 1-2 seconds, let it run for another 20 seconds or so, you'll see the oil light go off after a few seconds, and then turn the engine off.
* take the car off the ramps
* check the oil level again
* drive around normally, and during the next day or two, recheck. Add if necessary (another anal step)

I plan on changing my oil either this weekend or next. I have 1400 miles, and I want to get all the break-in crap out of the engine. I just don't know if my old E46 oil filters are identical to the one on the E90. I hope so :-) If not, does anyone want E46 filters? :-)

If you want a good write-up, just check out http://bmw330ci.com/DIY_Oil_Change.htm
Appreciate 0