View Single Post
      02-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #15
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
This is just another disguised tuner bash.
No, this is clearly someone that has a basic understanding of engine tuning and is trying to enlighten the community.

Quote:
The ignition timing was almost identical between my GIAC Stage 2 pump and his JB4 map 7. We compared the excel files in detail after the runs, we did graphs. Nevertheless he beat me but I have fewer mods I will ask for his permission to post some of the graphs..
You say you're running pump gas. Isn't map 7 on JB4 for race gas or meth? Your buddy should be able to run more timing than you. Why is he running almost identical timing?

Quote:
Conclusion: the N54 ECU is not a Subaru ECU:
This is true

Quote:
it is more advanced.
I'm not so sure. It certainly operates differently. The Subarus are tuned for maximum safe power, while the BMW is tuned to make consistent power. The N54 has a vast amount of headroom in the system. It can target a similar load at sea-level in sub-freezing weather as it can at 5,000 feet above sea-level on a 100* day.
The Subarus are actually known to have one of the most advanced knock control systems. You seem to have vast knowledge on the N54 knock control strategy. Please enlighten us all as to how it is better.

Quote:
The knock sensors and knock ADAPTATION work very closely to ensure proper timing. At least from what I have seen, and I have seen hard data with back to back runs, not just talking and bashing.
What is your definition of proper timing? Does your definition include allowing the engine to knock?
Appreciate 0