View Single Post
      11-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #41
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

Food for thought as to using an attorney or not.

Earlier this year I was stopped by a county sheriff and was cited for careless driving. I was approaching a light after exiting the highway and made a left turn going too quickly and the car stepped sideways. The officer stopped me and gave me a lecture. I was polite, answered all his questions with the typical yes sir, no sir.

I got to my destination and proceeded to review the implications of a careless driving ticket which included 5 points and about a $250 fine. I hadn't been pulled over in over 9 years and had a clean record and 5 points would make my insurance skyrocket.

I spoke with a friend that had a similar situation in the past and he gave me a name of a lawyer that specialized in traffic violations. I spoke with the attorney regarding the situation and he stated that if he couldn't get a reduction in either the cost of the ticket or number of points he would refund my money. The entire cost to retain his services and resolve the ticket was $400. He handled everything and I wasn't even required to be present for the court date. He negotiated with the judge and the prosecuting attorney and pled it down to impeding traffic. $145 fine and zero points.

So at the end of the day I was out $550 total but no points, not a bad deal. I highly recommend retaining a lawyer, specifically a traffic lawyer.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 1