07-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
As a new owner of 335d SE, I have a few basic Q’s for you folks:

1. What grade oil does this beast use and what do you 335D owners recommend?

I use 5w30 fully syn LL04 - important that the oil meets LLO4 as its a low saps oil which is suitable for cars with DPF. I normally use castrol edge because I got a discount from euro car parts - 8 litres for £55. The engine requires 7.5 litres.

2. Should I worry about the boost pipe, clips, vacuum stuff (which I’ve been reading up on lately) sooner rather than later or even worry about it considering the car’s only covered 43.5k miles? The car doesn’t seem to have any issue with the foot down and I def feel pinned to the seat when accelerating..

If you are experiencing no problems then I wouldnt worry too much, just keep an eye on the red boost pipe for any signs of oil leak and get the seals changed. I didnt notice any siginificant power loss as its graduall. If you have the engine cover off just check the general condition of the vacuum hoses, due to the heat generated they sometimes split etc

3. Rear Right Brake Light Bulb seems gone – warning light comes on in dash. Having done a few searches on the forum, I’ve noticed sometimes the bulb may actually still be in working condition but the warning light could be the result of a lose connection. Will double check if it’s actually the bulb that gone. In the event it has gone, could one of you kindly tell me which bulb is needed (i.e. part no.) and where is best to buy these bulbs from? I’ve tried to search but not having much luck!

If the bulb is still working I would not worry too much about it. When I first got mine I had the rear brake bulb light warning, I cleared the code and hasnt come back.

4. On the subject of bulbs, I’d like to buy LED bulbs for the rear no. plate as I saw one the other day on a silver coupe and thought it looked the part (esp. At night) – again, any idea on their part no.s and best place to source from?

No idea - i thought the 335d came with led numberplate bulbs already? Mine does
5. Does anyone use V-Power Diesel – has anyone really noticed any differences?

Not really use v power, I find mine tends to run better on normal BP diesel. I ran shell fuelsave but I found it doesnt last as long as BP.
Tried running it on tesco diesel and I defo noticed drop in power/hesitancy
Morrisons is a no no for me, makes my car sound like a bag of spanners in the morning lol

You’ll have to bear with me on questions for the next couple of weeks – I want to ask and learn as much as I can.

My E90 was a major step up from my alfas and Peugeots but my intention even with owning the E90 was to try and move into a coupe soon – which is why I didn’t spend too much ££ on modifying it. Hopefully this will be a nice long on-going project but nothing major is planned – just a few things to make it even better than it already is – stay tuned

I’ll start a new thread in the main section once I’ve started the mods, from as little as changing the bulbs to getting it mapped eventually.

Thanks.
most of all I would not worry, enjoy the car
Appreciate 0