View Single Post
      06-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #1237
Scotte30m3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotte30m3 View Post
Cars been at the shop for the last few days. The muffler mod is done and has full 3" perforated pipes through it. I split the packing between the two mufflers and sealed it back up. I also decided not to use the 3" valve on the driver side for now. If it's too loud on start I'll add it in later. It's been a slow process for fitting the full mandrel bent dual 3" exhaust but it's coming together nicely... I have some pics on picasa but haven't figured out how to link to it yet. Google pics for scotte30m3 and you can prolly find them. I hope to have it done today or Monday. I'll try to get some sound bytes ASAP.

To be clear the goal of this is to have a true free flowing dual 3" exhaust from the Turbos back withou being much louder than stock. I'm having RBs installed mid late next week to use all that free flowing exhaust...
Initial reaction no JB4 installed... Lots of Rasp and drone from 2000-3500 RPMs. Anything over 3500 RPMs was OEM. I was shocked!

(Side note, my Secondary cats must have been completely stopped up cause I could not boost over 12 PSI with the JB4 installed After ALOT of troubleshooting I found at least one turbo was leaking oil out the front and had about 2-3mm of shaft play up and down. So I took the JB4 off and scheduled time with the deal to have RBs installed, woot. With no JB4 installed the car was very anemic to 8psi and would fall flat on its face around 5800 rpms. I attributed this to the turbo failure. Now that the exhaust system has no the Secondary cats and no restriction at all it pulls like a freight train to 7 grand... Unfortunately the turbo is still leaking oil and still has shaft play and the RBs were already on order so I'm still doing the RBs)

Back to the review,
Last night I started looking at ways to change it to be more OEM lower in the RPMS... First thing I thought was, I need to put the driver side valve back in it and assure that it is working. I found a valve online that would work and got it ordered. Should be here tomorrow or Monday.

I woke up this morning still disappointed and started the car... and the disappointment got worse. Got home around lunch time still disappointed and but decided to re-install the JB4 so I could read the engine codes and see if I could run more than 12 PSI. I Let the car cool completely down, installed the JB4, then started it back up and to my surprise the car sounded different. I have know idea why. The drone was not nearly as bad and most of the ting went away... I took it for a drive again drone was almost gone as well as the fart sound. Started with Map 0 to assure I had the same results with no JB4 and all is well, switched to Map 1 and hit my target PSI, moved to MAP 2 and hit my target PSI. The car is definitely faster than the day I bought it a year ago... The thing that has be confused is why would it sound different from just installing the JB4?

I still plan on putting the OEM style valve in place. This should eliminate drone and rasp all together.

So now I need to post pics and videos... before and after RBs.

Should be in the air tomorrow or Monday... I'll get better pics of the V-BAND connection at the DPs

Last edited by Scotte30m3; 06-12-2014 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0