View Single Post
      07-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #302
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Is bleeding the clutch the same process as bleeding the brakes? I'm assuming it's using the same reservoir
Yes, same. But be careful, the clutch fluid "section" inside is baffled from the rest of the brake fluid reservoir. Clutch section is towards the back. So if you read this thread, you will know it is not difficult to by mistake completely drain and take in air to clutch line while bleeding, even though you may have a lot of fluid in the whole break reservoir. Make sure the brake reservoir is MORE than full at start. Then don't bleed long periods on the clutch. Bleed a little, then stop and check the reservoir clutch section.
If you run the clutch line dry by mistake, your clutch pedal won't work at all, but don't panic! Refill the reservoir as high as possible and bleed again, but go slowly. Bleed a little, wait a little, etc. Using a pressure bleeder and not knowing about the baffle in the reservoir, I had completely dried out the clutch line by mistake. But I was able to fill with fluid by bleeding again. After this clutch was grabbing very low initially, but gradually got better, after half an hour of driving I was back to normal.
Appreciate 0