rtjones
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 328i, 1995 VW Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
George-
Thanks to you apparently my friends now think I'm this expert detailer. HA! I'm just using your experience! Thank you so much!

I have a friend of mine who has white overspray (probably spray paint) on their black Rav4. I was thinking about claying it and possibly using some 3M rubbing compound it I have to. Any advise here?

While we are at it how many times should one use the same clay bar? I've already used it on two different cars. and what are your thoughts on the Sonus Clay bar system for future washes of my own car. (Obviously not for the overspray issue.)

Thanks George!
Bart, I'll take a shot, and I'm sure George will correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: frequency of clay - 1-2 times per year. I just clayed my 2 cars for the first time, and have decided to go once a year, during my full detail. I'm sure twice a year is fine, and think any more frequency is unnecessary.

I bought Clay Magic, and used about 2/3's a bar for a single car. I break off a good sized piece (cut the bar into 15 pieces, and take one), make a sphere of it, flatten, generously spray lubricant onto the 18"x18" area (my comfort zone in terms of size of area to clay at one time), and clay the entire area. Then I flip the clay over, and use it on the next 18"x18" area. I then throw it away - to be used no more.

Or, you may want to save it for your windows (good idea). But clay is relatively cheap, and why risk using piece of contaminated clay to add new fine scratches to your finish?

Cheers,
Ron

Last edited by rtjones; 07-27-2007 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0