View Single Post
      01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #131
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
You ever thought of joining an exotic car club instead of swapping motors frequently?
Oddly enough, no....never. The thought of just a few hours every few weeks in a nice car, despite the ability for it to change every few weeks, just doesn't appeal. I mean, what would I have to wax on a weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Dude, seriously. That's freakin' mental! An SLS to save on running costs, really... That must be the quote of 2013 so far, at least for me. Can't wait to tell that to my friends so that they see how reasonable I am in comparison!

It's a great car, though. More or less the same engine as in your previous C63, but optimised with dry-sump, carbon cardan shaft and a different intake. And of course the chassis of the SLS with the much lower center of gravity. The German car magazine sport auto was duly impressed (read here: sport auto supertest SLS AMG) and drove it in 7:40 minutes around the Nordschleife, which is really, really fast.

I don't much like the shape of it (ain't much into that retro stuff myself), except the gullwing doors which are quite cool, but tastes differ of course. My fav' car of your recent ones was the black XK-R, one beautiful car that was.

Don't you think you might miss the torque of the XKR-S? Not that the SLS doesn't have some either, but a supercharged car is IMO more serene in daily driving.

In any case, congrats to that ride! I'm really looking forward to hitch a ride in that with you. But I guess you won't want to drive that on the 'Ring either, or will you?

Hmmm, here in Germany we say that if we want to drive a Merc we call a taxi!

Alpina_B3_Lux
Unbelievable but true - the SLS is costing me considerably less every month than the XKR-S!

Funnily enough when I drove it, a lack of torque even compared to the XKR-S wasn't an observation I made Indeed, if anything it felt more instantly responsive - I guess that although it's only 5% more powerful and have 20lb/ft less torque than the Jag, it is 250kg+ lighter so it's power/torque to weight is significantly higher.

There will be no ring driving without suitable insurance I'm afraid...I mean, would you if you weren't suitably covered? Too much to lose and a risk too far for me

Lets catch up later in the year and we'll see just how well the ultimate driving machine stacks up to the taxi Was discussing with a friend today how might just pop over to the Pistenklause for a steak in the next few weeks and drive back the next day because, well, what better use for a car like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
I can't comment on the SLS specifically, but I am a total DeLorean geek and I know that the DMC12 actually requires less space for the gullwing door to open that that of a traditionally hinged door.

Given the pivot point of the SLS door I'd say the same is true, certainly to the point where it requires no more space.
It's the same - very wide (2.1m) car but the doors need hardly any extra width to open. Also, with the doors open, the height requirement is still less than in say our Range Rover Sport.

Just 5 days to go. I haven't been this excited for a car....well, ever. One of my friends that I work with said he's never seen me like this about a car so this bodes well, assuming reality lives up to expectation! They say never meet your hero's
Appreciate 0