View Single Post
      04-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #571
5hutupyouface
Rep
Drives: E93 M Sport 330d

Just to chime in here. I have the 225 19" alloys. In the last 1.8 years I've had about 5 alloys replaced due to cracking. All free of charge, but the car was under AUC warranty.

It isn't under the AUC anymore, and I took it in for it's major oil service to a different dealership than I usually go to (they were £100 cheaper for the oil service). Dealer came back and said I have a cracked alloy. I told them to do a run-out test and replace as appropriate. They said they cannot do that as the car has no warranty and that I need to buy a new one.

I have extended warranty (Mondial) and before purchasing it, I did ask them about the alloys, and it was a firm NO - they're not covered, despite the known issue.

So I didn't argue with the dealer and thought I'd get it repaired for now. I had just splashed out on 4 new rf tyres, paid an arm and a leg for the major oil service and bought a very expensive engagement ring - needless to say, my budget simply wouldn't stretch enough for a new alloy.

Unfortunately for me, my rear pad and discs needed replacing too. I decided to take it to my usual dealer as they agreed to price match the cheaper dealer. I got about £60 off.

They also reported the cracked alloy and took the time to email me a video of it which was nice of them. I asked them what my options are, and the lady politely told me that they can do the run out test and replace it foc.

They did the run out test, I passed - alloy replaced foc - no hassle - didn't have to pay for the run out test either. In fact, with my dealer, they have never charged me for a run out test and never charged me for any of the usual extras that some others do. On top of that, they got my service price wrong and it was cheaper by £10. I told them the price is wrong, they said it's OK and not to worry. They also told me not to worry about paying for the courtesy car either.

All in all, that is the service I expect from BMW and that is the service my usual dealer provides. Hope it stays that way.

But this brings an interesting point. And I must stress this is speculation only, but I'm thinking that BMW are in fact still replacing these alloys and that the dealerships that refuse and make you buy one will also do the run out test any way and get it replaced by BMW. So all in all, you've paid for an alloy and they get money for the alloy from BMW *as well*. So they make £1200 from the sale of a single alloy.
Appreciate 0