View Single Post
      07-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWysong View Post
XI is slower, but dont tell me they are 20% slower. I run high 12's with a JB4 and DCI only, trapping about 106-107 mph which is only about .5 or less seconds off a similarly tuned rwd. Slower car yes, due to some loss of power through the AWD system, but they are not significantly slower. I also have auto trans, which loses even more power, and still am right along side manual 335i's
I never said 20% slower, I said they have more drivetrain loss. If you got 20% slower out of the numbers above, you need to check your math. Ex. RWD manual 335i has ~15% loss, AWD auto has ~22%. RWD auto has ~17%, AWD manual has ~20%. So the difference can be anywhere from ~3-7%, this is why 5% is a fair number to use just keep in mind that it all depends on which 2 cars you're comparing.

On the 1/4 mile stuff- Your ET is lower because you can launch better, but you'll be trapping 2-3 MPH lower than RWD cars (assuming equal drivers/mods). That's the difference between a stock 335i and a tuned one. 2-3 MPH is roughly a car length, which is a significant, every-day measurable amount. Maybe you and I have different definitions of "significant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
You will notice that I didn't say anything about car speed, just HP. The times I saw the AWD was 2-3 mph slower in the 1/4 than a RWD for a stock car, most of that would be accounted to the extra weight.
Are you not reading the same stuff I am? You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn
Look at the trap MPH between the 2 and you can tell the HP is very similar.
Trap MPH measure's a car's speed, so unless you're measuring Mustache Pie Heat or something... See above for why 2-3 MPH is a big deal.
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0