View Single Post
      11-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I think we do have to make a judgement on the evidence put before us from the tyre and safety organizations.

Even if we are sceptical, when the BTMA's technical advisory committee state that winter tyres are better under 7-degrees (even in the wet) and this is a result of their testing, we do need to pay at least a little attention.

I'm very well aware we are getting some test results, which are indicating there may be some variations in the findings, as they are conducted by the various magazines. But what we don't know is, how all these tests are evaluated, even set up. It doesn't mean any are wrong or misleading, but may not all be from a standard baseline.

Something as simple as a different pressure setting can change the braking, so where do we get the exact test data from, for how a tyre was compared?

What does appear to be consistent, the tyre manufacturers and all the safety agencies seem to agree the benefits are there for winter tyre performance, and do show distinct safety advantages, over running summer tyres in the same winter conditions.

What we all know, there isn't one tyre that does everything, there has to be compromises, if we want to cope with the extremes.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0