View Single Post
      09-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
kaleb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
3 hours after running when the engine is luke warm? Is it a fault? What feature are you regarding on the N54?
On the N54, when engine oil temperatures are at a certain threshold, the electric water pump will continue to run while the engine is off. This keeps coolant circulating through the turbos so that the very hot turbos won't "coke" the oil and clog the oil passages. It's the reason why "turbo timers" were invented.

The sound on my car is similar to what your video sounds like, but not exactly the same but I could attribute that to real life versus electronic audio sounds.

The electric pump on the N54 doesn't run for hours after I turn the car off, however, only minutes at most. This would lead me to believe you have some kind of fault as discussed in earlier replies.

Either way it is very curious.
2012 X5 35D - Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Options: Sport, Tech, Cold Weather, comfort seats, leather dash, high beam assist, lane-departure warning, soft-close doors, two-row, self-leveling suspension, hi-fi stereo
Tracks driven (in any car): Nürburgring Nordschleife (05/2011), LeMans (ok, just the public part), Eagles Canyon Raceway, MotorSport Ranch Cresson, COTA Austin
Appreciate 0