05-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleb View Post
On the N54, when engine oil temperatures are at a certain threshold, the electric water pump will continue to run while the engine is off. This keeps coolant circulating through the turbos so that the very hot turbos won't "coke" the oil and clog the oil passages. It's the reason why "turbo timers" were invented.

The sound on my car is similar to what your video sounds like, but not exactly the same but I could attribute that to real life versus electronic audio sounds.

The electric pump on the N54 doesn't run for hours after I turn the car off, however, only minutes at most. This would lead me to believe you have some kind of fault as discussed in earlier replies.

Either way it is very curious.
Now I've gathered much more knowledge since I posted this, I can tell you that my N57 does have the feature where the water pump will continue to run to cool the turbo, but even after driving the car hard, it is inaudible. After 80k miles, it hasn't returned but some guys have commented on my YouTube video's (one with an E46) saying he is having the same "problem".
Very interesting.... I don't expect to find the answer really. Oh well

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0